Body Contouring surgery is typically performed following a massive weight loss to remove excess sagging fat and skin, while improving the shape of the underlying support tissue. The end result is a more normal appearance with smoother contours. Depending on the extent of the weight loss and the amount of excess skin and fat, one or more procedures may be recommended to achieve your goals for a more contoured body. During your consultation, we will discuss the options available to you, as well as your expectations and desired results.
Benefits of Body Contouring Surgery
- Improve body shape and contour following weight loss
- Remove excess skin and fat
- Reshape disproportionate curves
- Reshape body features that cannot be achieved by other means
- Enhance appearance and improve self-esteem and body image
Body contouring surgery can involve multiple procedures to various parts of the body, with varying techniques, depending on your needs and expectations. The surgery will be performed under either an intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
All Body Contouring procedures require large incisions to remove excess skin. These incisions may be extensive in many cases.
The amount and location of excess skin to be removed will determine the incision length and pattern, along with your personal preference and the surgeon’s judgment.
- Body Lift– A complete lower body lift can be performed to treat sagging buttocks, waist, abdomen, hips, and outer thighs in a single procedure. Incisions vary and may include a circumferential incision around the body to remove the “belt” of excess fat and/or skin.
- Breast Lift– Incision patterns will be determined based on the amount of excess skin to be removed. These could include a circular pattern around the areola, extending from the areola to breast crease, or horizontally along the breast crease.
- Arm Lift– Sagging skin in the upper arms is treated with an incision from the underarm area extending along the inside or back of the upper arm. Additional incisions on the arms may be necessary in areas where excess skin has formed.
- Thigh Lift– Reshaping the thighs is achieved through incisions in the groin extending downward to the knee along the inner portion of the thigh. An incision extending from the groin around the hip may be required to improve contours on the outer thigh.
During your recovery from body contouring surgery, your bandages will be applied to your incisions. Specific instructions will be given regarding how to care for your surgical sites, medications to apply, and specific concerns to be aware of. A follow-up appointment will also be made.
You should avoid bending, straining, or lifting for several days to a few weeks. If tightening of the abdomen or thighs was performed, your doctor may advise you to avoid standing fully upright and stressing any internal sutures as they heal.
To minimize the risk of blood clots in your legs, you will need to be up and walking as soon as possible, and drinking plenty of fluid to avoid dehydration.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Belek to discuss if Body Contouring surgery is right for you, call (415) 968-9652 or contact us here.